Authoring Action programs are designed to:
- Develop youth as authors and advocates for social change
- Redefine learning through the arts
- Support stronger communities
The Authoring Action experience begins with the Summer Institute at the Children's Home, a five-week intensive opportunity for youth to work collaboratively with their peers, adults, mentors and professional writers and artists in filmmaking and other disciplines to:
- Author original written works of every genre from their life stories and societal predicaments
- Collaborate to refine, compile and adapt their collective written works for stage and film forums
- Engage, educate and motivate the greater community through a finale commencement production
Upon successful completion of the summer program, youth continue to hone their creative writing and spoken word (public speaking skills) through participation in After School Advanced Writing Workshops (held two days a week when school is in session) and become members of the Assegai Outreach Ensemble.
Assegai Outreach Ensemble members engage audiences through stage and film presentations of original written works that speak to pressing community concerns. The Ensemble serves as a partner and resource for educational, cultural, social and civic organizations seeking youth engagement and insight to achieve healthy, thriving and unified communities.